Danish Refugee Council - Tanzania
Job Vacancy – [Construction officer -3 position]
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization which provides assistance and promotes durable solutions for refugees and internally displaced people, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights.
Danish Refugee Council is a new humanitarian actor in Tanzania. As part of the Burundian Refugee Response in Tanzania, DRC will implement in the sectors of camp management, protection and shelter/ small infrastructure.
In order to fulfill DRCs staffing needs for new operations in Tanzania, we are opening the following position for a Tanzanian national, based in Kibondo (Nduta /Mtendeli Camp.
Tasks and responsibilities of the position
R1: Technical and Management of DRC Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Projects:
- Continuously supervise on quality, material utilization control at the field
- Design and manage sanitation interventions as per SPHERE standards and the WASH cluster decisions
- Oversee construction of family and communal latrines as per standards
- Mobilize communities and WASH committees to monitor usage of provided infrastructure and promote improved hygiene conditions in the camps
- Conduct frequent rapid needs assessment of the situation in the event of emergency in collaboration with other stakeholders to address immediate WASH related problems
- Provide insight to Logistics Department in terms of technical follow-up of WASH procurements
R 2: Monitoring, Reporting and Development:
- Develop programme monitoring tools
- Quality control and site monitoring ensuring that services are according to SPHERE standards
- Programme monitoring as per expected outputs and outcomes.
R3: Team management:
- Directly supervise WASH team and construction contractors
- Set clear objectives for WASH team and do performance evaluations
- Continuously update project documentation and files
- Other relevant duties as directed by the Site Engineer
R4: External coordination and representation:
- Participate in WASH meetings
- Act as Site Engineer on request
- Supervision of the sanitation team, including mentoring and appraisals
- DUTY STATION:
- QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- Advanced education on Public Health Engineering / Structural Engineering / Construction Management or subjects related to Water Sanitation and Hygiene
- Two (2) years practical experience in engineering, including survey, planning and execution of WASH, PHE, PHP & building construction projects.
- Experience from working in complex and rural contexts and hardship locations
- Documented skills in project planning and design, drafting, calculation and technical writing.
- Excellent computer skills in programs as: AutoCAD, Word and Excel.
- Excellent communication skills in English – both speaking and writing.
- Knowledge of Swahili or Kirundi) would be a significant advantage
- Previous work experience with a national/international NGO
Interested candidates should submit their application including cover letter and updated CV in English addressed to email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis before the deadline, and interviews could be held before the deadline date. Deadline for applications is 10th October 2016.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply irrespective of origin, gender or age.
For further information about Danish Refugee Council, please go to www.drc.dk.