Danish Refugee Council - Tanzania
Job Vacancy – [Site Engineer -1position]
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization which provides assistance and promotes durable solutions for refugees and internally displaced people, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights.
Danish Refugee Council is a new humanitarian actor in Tanzania. As part of the Burundian Refugee Response in Tanzania, DRC will implement in the sectors of camp management, protection and shelter/ small infrastructure.
In order to fulfill DRCs staffing needs for new operations in Tanzania, we are opening the following position for a Tanzanian national, based in Kibondo (Nduta /Mtendeli Camp.
Tasks and responsibilities of the position
- JOB SUMMARY & PURPOSE:
Reporting to the WASH Expert, this position will provide day to day supervision of construction activities and direct line supervision to the assigned WASH team at Kibondo. This includes responsibility for all WASH activities assigned under their control, including Sanitation and shelter when need arise.
The Construction Engineer will represent DRC in regard to all WASH activities under their control to all stakeholders and will be required to attend all relevant meetings in this respect.
The managerial function will be executed to ensure the highest quality standard directly in line with Sphere Standards.
The Employee may additionally be required to act as WASH Expert, in the absence of their supervisor and undertake on their behalf any assignments delegated to him/her.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
R1: Technical and Management of DRC Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Projects:
- Identify priorities and technically assist on assessments, designing and overseeing KAP and other surveys
- Design and manage sanitation interventions as per SPHERE standards and the WASH cluster decisions
- Oversee construction of family and communal latrines as per standards
- Mobilize communities and WASH committees to monitor usage of provided infrastructure and promote improved hygiene conditions in the camps
- Develop and undertake needs assessments to inform programme design and strategic direction.
- Conduct frequent rapid needs assessment of the situation in the event of emergency in collaboration with other stakeholders to address immediate WASH related problems
- Develop training package an model for community skill transfer in environmental sanitation and health promotion
- Provide insight to Logistics Department in terms of technical follow-up of WASH procurements
R 2: Monitoring, Reporting and Development:
- Develop programme monitoring tools
- Quality control and site monitoring ensuring that services are according to SPHERE standards
- Programme monitoring as per expected outputs and outcomes
- Prepare and present donor and management reports
- Draft and otherwise contribute to grant proposals in areas of sectoral competence
R3: Team management:
- Directly supervise WASH Construction Officer and indirectly the WASH team
- Conduct recruitment of technical staff as needed
- Set clear objectives for WASH team and do performance evaluations
- Continuously update project documentation and files
- Other relevant duties as directed by the WASH Expert
R4: External coordination and representation:
- Participate in WASH coordination meetings
- Coordinate with ……, UNHCR, UNICEF, INGOs and other key stakeholders on camp layout and design of WASH services
- Act as WASH Expert on request
- Supervision of the WASH team, including mentoring and appraisals
- Quality approvals on procurement and staff recruitment decisions.
- Mediate and counsel staff especially when there is misunderstanding or conflict.
- DUTY STATION:
- Kibondo ( Nduta/Mtendeli).
- QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- Advanced education on Public Health Engineering / Structural Engineering / Construction Management or subjects related to Water Sanitation and Hygiene
- Three (3) years practical experience in engineering, including survey, planning and execution of WASH, PHE, PHP & building construction projects.
- Experience from working in complex and rural contexts and hardship locations
- Documented skills in project planning and design, drafting, calculation and technical writing.
- Excellent computer skills in programs as: AutoCAD, Word and Excel.
- Excellent communication skills in English – both speaking and writing.
- Knowledge of Swahili or Kirundi) would be a significant advantage
- Previous work experience with a national/international NGO
Interested candidates should submit their application including cover letter and updated CV in English addressed to email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis before the deadline, and interviews could be held before the deadline date. Deadline for applications is 10th October 2016.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply irrespective of origin, gender or age.
For further information about Danish Refugee Council, please go to www.drc.dk.