Main purpose of job:
To support delivery of the British High Commission’s objectives in Tanzania through proactive communications.Using mainstream, specialist and social media to raise awareness of UK Government activity and influence policy thinking in Tanzania, including supporting DFID’s £180m per year development programme.Provide insight and analysis into Tanzanian domestic politics.
Roles and responsibilities :
- To communicate the British High Commision’s objectives and messages in the Tanzanian media. Draft and issue press releases and advise the British High Commissioner and other senior officers on interactions with the media.
- Lead on organising events, photocalls, press conference, interviews and other media opportunities, working closely with BHC staff from across different departments and teams (including the UK Department For International Development).
- To build BHC Dar es Salaam’s social media presence, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, thorugh regular updating with relevant, interesting, targeted content.
- Maintain an effective list of contacts, covering all aspects of communications work.
- Provide support and cover for the BHC Political Officer, including insight and analysis into Tanzanian politics and current affairs.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening skills
- Fluent in both english and Kiswahili
- Thorough understanding of the media environment in Tanzania, including digital media.
- Communications experience
- Experience organising events / conferences / marketing etc.
- Political acumen
- Bachelors degree
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Tanzania with the correct visa/status/work permit.
- The British High Commission in Dar es Salaam is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuin difference.
- Staff recruited locally by the British High Commission in Dar es Salaam are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Tanzanian employment law.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount
- The successful candidate will be subject to reference checking and securityclearance checks.
- If you have not heard from us 3 weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Note: Any questions you may have about this position will only be answered during interview, should you be invited.
- Please apply on https;//fco.tal.net/candidate/login and click on search jobs once you have opening the link.the closing date is 3 November 2016 and n futher applications will be accepted after this date.