Diageo is the world’s leading premium drinks company, a business built on the principles and foundations laid by the giants of our industry.
Arthur Guinness, John Walker and his sons and all those many talented people that followed in their footsteps, cared deeply about the people, businesses they fostered, and the communities in which they operated. Today we stand on the shoulders of these giants and act with the same entrepreneurial spirit.
The success of Guinness®, Smirnoff®, Johnnie Walker®, Tanqueray® and many more brands led to the formation of our company in 1997. And we only thrive today because of the 32,000 talented people we have globally to grow our brands, old and new, and keep them strong. Sold in more than 180 countries, we have a responsibility to ensure that our brands remain as relevant today as they have done in the past, and to pass them on to the next generation in even better shape.
Our purpose, celebrating life, every day, everywhere, is broad and full of opportunity and plays an important role in our company. We know that when we are fulfilled, we deliver better performance. We want to make the most of life, to be the best you can be at work, at home, with friends, in the community, and for the community – for our brands to be part of celebrations big and small.
Do you want to become a custodian of some of the most iconic brands in the world? Find out more about our purpose, culture and values in our Life sectio
Job Title Engineering Manager
Reports To Site Brewery Manager
Serengeti Breweries Ltd (SBL) operates exclusively in Tanzania and is the 2nd largest beer company with a market share of close to 30%. SBL is a subsidiary of East Africa Breweries Ltd (EABL) – which is in turn partly owned by one of the world’s biggest alcoholic beverage companies, DIAGEO. The company is an integrated demand/supply business with 3 operational breweries in Dar Es Salaam, Mwanza, and a third one in Moshi.
The company boasts famous locally brewed brands, such as Serengeti Premium Lager, Tusker Lager, Tusker Malt Lager, Pilsner Lager, Senator just to name a few. The spirits folder is filled with world-class brands from abroad – including Smirnoff, Johnnie Walker, Baileys, J&B and Gordon’s.
SBL operates in a competitive environment and in a vast geography. The main player in the beer industry is Tanzania Breweries Ltd. (TBL), a subsidiary of SABMiller, who until recently were a third party manufacturer of EABL brands Tusker, Pilsner and Guinness. As a result of the cessation of the agreement between TBL and EABL, there is heightened competitive activity in that market.
Inflation rates remain high in Tanzania (7.5% expected in F11) and average income per capita is less than 1 USD per day. The GDP growth is estimated at 6.4% and is expected to grow to 7.1% as investment, trade and tourism pick up. There is growing consumer affluence and consumerism, giving rise to greater opportunities in our product categories.
Manage a team of electrical and utilities engineers directly, as well as manage the operators reporting into them indirectly.
Purpose Of Role
To direct, co-ordinate and provide leadership for the performance of the overall Engineering function within Operations team and SBL Site Facilities.
- Day to day direction and management to ensure effective functional effectiveness of all installed engineering plants and systems
- Providing for a safe and healthy work environment through appropriate systems to monitor and mitigate against workplace risks Identifying and monitoring the application of World Class Engineering Management Standards, Procedures and Guidelines to enhance asset care, safety and operational efficiency
- Development and maintenance of effective Plant and Facilities maintenance plans to guarantee serviceability and proper asset care, plant availability and efficient operations
- Involvement in the evolution of Engineering Capex proposals and monitoring implementation to ensure the adherence to company engineering policies, fitness for purpose, provision of spares and training of maintenance personnel, integration with existing installations and compliance with EHS requirements.
- Providing for effective management of plant and equipment maintenance through an effective planned maintenance system
- Ensuring Engineering involvement in the origination, formulation and implementation of all Capex projects and providing the needed functional resources to support the Technical Team.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Graduate level of education in an Engineering discipline (Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering).
- Training on Environment and OHS law and management.
- 5 years experience in the Brewing and/or Process exposure in the FMCG Industry
- In-depth knowledge of Brewing, Packaging and Utilities Plants Operational knowledge of Utilities Generation and Distribution
Job type: Full-time
Online Application Instruction Click APPLY NOW