UNIVERSITY RESERCH CO., LLC CENTER FOR HUMAN SERVICES
Human Resources Officer
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Salary: Commensurate with required experience and qualifications
Reports to: Chief of party
University Research Co., LLc (URC)
URC is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URL manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
Established in 1965, URL offers a range of technical assistance to strengthen health and social systems and service quality by empowering communities and health workers to identify and scale up locally appropriate solutions to critical problems. Internationally, we expand access to and improve the quality of services addressing maternal, newborn and child health; infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; food and nutrition and vulnerable children and families. In the US, we focus on improving communication related to issues like substance abuse with a particular focus on reaching underserved populations.
URL’s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenged worldwide. Please join us in carrying out our mission (http://www.urc-chs.com/).
Division & Project Overview:
The USAID Applying Science to Strengthen and Improve System (ASSIST) Project is a new project dedicated to improving health, population and nutrition services through technical support to service delivery institutions, country Ministries of Health, USAID country mission, and cooperating agencies. The new project carries on the work on the USAID Health Care Improvement Project (http://www.hciproject.org) in global advocacy, development, and promotion of cost-effective methods to design and improve health care services and systems in low-and middle-income countries.
An important global objective of the ASSIST Project is knowledge management: to facilitate document and sharing of evidence for improvement of specific care processes based on the work of individual QI teams, large-scale improvements efforts, and/or research, and to make this information readily available through Web technology.
The ASSISR Project is managed by URC’s Quality and Performance Institute (QPI). Through QPI, URC has implemented quality improvement and operations research programs in health care since 1981 and continues to be at the cutting edge of health care improvement work in countries around the world.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Directly reporting to the Chief of Party, the Human Resources Officer is responsible for providing overall HR support to the ASSIST Project on various human resources functions. S/He ensures that the technical teams have accurate and timely HR information necessary to make relevant staffing decisions. S/He supports the project in recruitment and placement; manage staff performance and creation of a healthy working environment through, open management policies, information sharing and organization of ASSIST staff functions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Recruitment and Placement
• Coordinate recruitment process by advertising vacancies, collecting CV’s screening candidates and setting up interviews for selected applicants.
• Verify completion of all hiring paper work including requisition, interview evolutions, reference checks, offer form, offer letter and employee action form.
• Prepare employment contracts with detailed scope of work for all project hires.
• Conducts induction and on-site orientation programs for all new project staff.
2. Perform Management
• Analyses and gleans HR needs from the work plans presented at the beginning of the project year and coordinated them with the Director of operations.
• Assists staff in understanding and completing the performance appraisals process in a timely manner.
• Guides supervisors in keeping the performance appraisal process as an ongoing process.
• Ensures that all new staff has set objectives for probation period.
• Remind supervisors of confirmation due dates and decisions to confirm or not are made in time.
3. Employee Relations
• Ensures appropriate and immediate handling of project staff enquiries and requests for assistance.
• Ensures that HR best practices are adhered to at the project by all projects staff though counseling, guidance and coaching.
• Handles minor disciplinary matters at the Project.
• Identifies and follows up HR issues that arise during staff and management meetings.
4. Policy Management and Dissemination
• Ensure that the Human Resource Polices and the employee benefits package are well understood by all staff, providing guidance as necessary.
• Clarifies to staff issues pertaining to HR in the Employee Handbook in collaboration with the Director Operations.
• Ensure adherence to local labor laws and practices and support staff enrolment in local benefit plans as appropriate.
5. Records Management
• Establish and maintain the project/personnel paper and electronic files in an organized and orderly manner so that records can be referred to and deciphered clearly in the event of an audit or need for historical information.
• Ensures that all documentation in relation to the engagement of Short Term Technical Assistance in liaison with the different technical area heads are completed in time and information necessary for the payment is made available to finance.
• Keeps all project staff information confidential and communicates only what needs to be shared when need arise.
6. Timesheet, Payroll and Leave management
• Administers the staff leave roster, notes absenteeism and coordinates and liaise with Finance Manager on timesheets and payroll matters.
7. Health Insurance
• Manage the health and workers’ insurance provided to staff and lead regular reviews of the policy.
Organization of ASSIST Staff Functions
• Plays an active role in creating a safe and healthy work environment through organization project retreats, get together functions, stress relief activities, celebrating staff birth days, additions to staff family members, hospital visitation, bereavement support, etc.
• Assists in the timely recruitment of consultants and staff at the Project upon receipt of request.
• Responsible for preparing contractual documentation for consultations in a timely manner.
• Review all proposed consultant agreements for completeness and to ensure compliance with tax requirements before the agreements are issued to prospective consultants.
• Ensure that all consultant files include bio-data sheets and appropriate supporting documents including verification of salary/earnings claim and references.
Required Experience & Qualifications
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Social Sciences, Business Administration or a related field.
• A Post Graduate diploma in Human Resources Management and /or training in Records Management are an added advantage.
• At least five years relevant work experience gained through serving in a similar position with an NGO or busy multinational company.
• Excellent planning, organizing, communication and Interpersonal skills. Knowledge of Tanzania Laws, an ability to work in a multicultural environment, pay attention to detail and maintain confidentiality is a must.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel
• Team Player and eligible to work in Tanzania
For immediate consideration, applicants who meet the requirements should send an Application Letter, CV and relevant academic documents as well as names and contact information for 3 professional references and day time contact numbers to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 4th November, 2016.
For more information, please visit URC’s Career Opportunities page at www.urc-chs.com/careers.
URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We value and seek diversity in our workforce.
Nafasi za kazi University Research Co., LLC Center For Human Services -human Resources officer
UNIVERSITY RESERCH CO., LLC CENTER FOR HUMAN SERVICES