The Macroeconomic and Financial Management Institute of Eastern of and Southern Africa (MEFM) is a regionally owned Institute with 14 member countries, currently: Angola, Botswana, Burundi Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. MEFMI was founded with the view to building sustainable capacity in identified key areas in ministries of finance, planning commissions and central banks, or equivalent institutions.
MEFMI strives to improve sustainable human and institutional capacity in the critical areas of macroeconomic and financial management; foster best practices in related institutions; and bring emerging risks and opportunities to the fore among executive level officials. MEFMI seeks to achieve, within its member states, prudent macroeconomic management, competent and efficient management of public finances, sound, efficient and stable financial sectors and stable economies with strong and sustained growth. The long term objective is to contribute to the poverty reduction process among people in MEFMI’s operational zone of Eastern and Southern Africa.
The MEFMI Secretariat is based in Harare, Zimbabwe.
Applications are invited from suitable qualified nationals of member states to fill the following positions:
REF: 092016PM – PROGRAMME MANAGER – PUBLIC DEBT INSTITUTIONAL DEVELOPMENT & CS-DRMS
Reporting to the Director Debt Management Programme, the incumbent will be responsible for carrying out capacity building activities in Sovereign Dept Management in general, with special focus on legal and institutional development and CS-DRMS.
Key performance Areas
- Contributes to the MEDMI Strategy on issues pertaining to his/her areas of focus;
- Assesses and updates member states’ capacity building needs in his/her areas of focus;
- Plans, designs, implements, and monitors regional and in-country capacity building activities in Sovereign debt management including legal and institutional reforms and CS-DRMS for the MEFMI region, including workshops, seminars, courses and technical assistance missions;
- Designs and executes e-learning courses;
- Carries out research on topical issues related to areas of operation;
- Contributes to MEFMI’s publications and Policy Seminars;
- Identifies and develops new instruments such as policy documents and manuals;
- Monitors and evaluates the impact of capacity building activities;
- Networks with debt management officials in client institutions and technical cooperating organization’s;
- Participates in the selection, assessment and accreditation of Fellows.
Academic Qualifications, Experience and Competencies
- At least Master’s Degree in Economics or Finance;
- At least (5) years hands-on experience in broad Sovereign Debt Management;
- Proven hands-on experience in public debt analysis;
- A sound understanding of the use od CS-DRMS or similar software;
- At least five (5) years relevant work experience in the Ministry of Finance or Economic planning and Development, Central Bank or in a relevant organization;
- Strong qualitative, quantitative and analytical skills;
- Computer literacy and knowledge of application of main software packages used in economic analysis;
- Documented evidence of publications and research experience;
- Ability to work long hours and under pressure including frequent assignments to member states;
- Excellent facilitation and presentation skills;
- Excellent written and verbal skills;
- Leadership skills and ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels;
Cooperation and Team Sprits;
- Cooperation and Team Spirit;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- MEFMI Fellowship would be an added advantage;
- Experience in working in a multicultural professional environment will be an added advantage.
The successful candidates for the above positions will be appointed on a fixed term contract at a competitive remuneration package, which includes a tax free salary paid in US dollars.
Applicants for the above vacancies should submit written applications, clearly stating the position applied for accompanied by certified certificates, a detailed CV with names and addresses (including telephone and e-mail) of three referees (the latest color photograph to be pasted on the CV to be received by 25th October, 2016.
Applications should be sent to:
The Executive Director,
9 Earls Road
Email: email@example.com stating the reference and position applied for.
MEFMI is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.