USAID Boresha Afya is a new s-year USAID-funded program for a comprehensive Health
Service Delivery. The goal of USAID Boresha Afya is to improve the health status of all
Tanzanians. Jhpiego leads the implementation of one of the 3 awards covering the lake and
western zones -with an emphasis on women and children in targeted regions. The purpose
is to support the GOT to increase access to high-quality, comprehensive and integrated health
services, with a focus on malaria, maternal, newborn, child and reproductive health outcomes.
The project scope covers 7 regions in the lake and western zones, national level, and
Jhpiego is therefore seeking to recruit a team of experienced medical, public health, program,
and finance professionals to implement this exciting new initiative.
Position Overview: The Deputy Chief of Party is responsible for the management and
implementation of the USAID Boresha Afya from the project's technical hub in Mwanza.S/he
will work closely with the Chief of Party. for the Project, other key personnel, and representatives of partner organizations to ensure programmatic leadership and integrity. The DCOP willprovideoverallleadership and oversight to the field based team in the day-to-day project implementation in line with annual work plan activities. Work closely with technical and operations teams to ensure that resources (e.g., human, financial, and material) are applied appropriately to undertake activities in the target districts. Work closely with the M&E staff to ensure project deliverables are monitored .. Lead project planning, implementation, and adjustment of project activities based on monitoring of activities at the districts. Maintain relationship with local government authorities and stakeholders at zonal, regional and district levels.
Position Reports To: Chief of Party,USAID Boresha Afya Project
Positions Supervised: All technical staff and finance/administration based in Mwanza and
Regional Progam Managers/Coordinators
- Lead USAID Boresha Afya project strategy formulation including development of objectives, roles and responsibilities of staff, outreach, and plan for overall flow of information and knowledge to and from the program sites
- In collaboration with the Chief of Party, provide leadership to the project team in implementing program goals.
- 'In collaboration with the Chief Of Party, and other key staff, ensure program planning, development and implementation systems are in place and functioning effectively
- Ensure that USAID Boresha Afya program is technically sound, evidence-based and responsive to the needs of the region/district, its people and stakeholders
- Work with M&E and technical staff to develop/review monitoring and evaluation framework and track data/results
- Motivate and mentor assigned staff and consultants
- Write and/or review technical components of materials publications related to the project and its development
- Lead preparation and timely submission of all quarterly, annual etc programmatic and financial reports to USAID and departments of relevant Ministries
- Represent the project with the relevant Ministries, LGAs, non-governmental organiz~tioris: (fSAlbcand oth'sr"pto(es~r6nal circte~~wrb'prFa:Il~ - C 'j J
- Establish and maintain effective working relationship with regional and district level stakeholders in effective implementation of USAID Boresha Afya
- Ensure synergy and collaboration with health and non-health partners in project sites
- Support coordination with consortium partners to ensure integrated and timely designing, execution and reporting of program activities
- Lead an inclusive and participatory process of developing annual workplans for the project
- Ensure that resources for program implementation are available and efficiently used
- Work with program and financial staff to prepare and track progress of program and activity budgets
- Lead program team to document program activities and be responsible for all program reporting to Chief of Party,.ps required.
- Maintain productive and consistent communication with USAID Boresha Afya field teams and Prograni and Jhpiego leadership in Dar es Salaam
- Monitor and supervise the efficiency and effectiveness of the work of USAID Boresha Afyastaff and consultants, including those providing technical, -programmatic, financial and, administrative services
- Ensure compilation and regular submission of pertinent technical and programmatic literature and information produced or found in the field to Jhpiego head office in Dar es Salaam (for uploading into Jhpiego knowledge management sites
- Delegate appropriately
- Other duties as necessary and as assigned by immediate supervisor
- Masters' degree in medicine, nursing or other relevant health field. Public health degree also a plus.
- At least 8 years' experience in implementation of donor-funded programs, including planning, designing, supervising, and evaluating healthcare programs. A total of at least 5 years' experience is needed in senior level management of health related programs.
- Capacity for analyzing technical problems and issues which impede efforts to provide improved health care to populations;. developing technical solutions to these problemslissues and assisting in the design of operational research which could yield appropriate solutions to these problemslissues.
- Demonstrated experience of managing partnerships in implementing development projects, including with other international agencies
- Proven leadership skills, as well as skills in facilitation, team building and coordination
- Extensive knowledge of the local health systems from the national to the local levels
- Excellent interpersonal and supervisory skills, inspiring teamwork and motivating staff, consultants and partners to achieve results
- At least 5 years' experience in managing multi-dollar donor-funded projects. Experience working with USAID-funded projects preferred.
- Demonstrated experience maintaining donor and partner relations.
- Proved track record of managing big teams in implementing health related programs
- Ability to develop productive working relationships with counterparts in other agencies and organizations worldwide.
- Experience in RH/FP/MNCHlMalaria work in Tanzania
- Excellent verbal, written communications and presentation skills
- Strong programming, management and technical skills-
- Experience in public speaking and professional presentations;
- Dynamic personality and a team player
- Ability to manage several major activities simultaneously;
- Computer literacy, particularly in the use of MS word, Excel and PowerPoint Experience
- Aware of and sensitive to working in multiple socio-economic settings and with multi-cultural groups
- Availability and willingness to travel up to 30% time.
To apply please indicate the position title on the envelope or subject line of your e-mail,
i.e. Application for Deputy Chief of Party. All applications should also include an
up-to-date CV with three contactable professional references, a cover letter 'and your
The application should be addressed to:
Director of Human Resource
Plot 72, Block 45B, New Bagamoyo Road - Victoria
PO Box 9170
. Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
OR send the application through email at: HRJZ@jhpiego.org
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The closing date for
applications is two weeks after the first appearance of this 'advert.
Caution to the applicants:
There have been some bogus adverts online that require candidates to apply through
some email addresses of public domains e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc. Kindly note:
HRTZ@jhpiego.org is the address to use all the time. Please ignore any of those
adverts. We also don't charge any application fee nor entertain any meetinqs or
telephone calls. If shortlisted you will get an official call from our office and receive
required steps. If you suspect any wrong - doing kindly write to the Director of Human