USAID Boresha Afya is a new s-year USAID-funded program for a comprehensive Health Service Delivery. The goal of USAID Boresha Afya is to improve the health status of all Tanzanians. Jhpiego leads the implementation of one of the 3 awards covering the lake and western zones -with an emphasis on women and children in targeted regions. The purpose is to support the GOT to increase access to high-quality, comprehensive and integrated health services, with a focus on malaria, maternal, newborn, child and reproductive health outcomes. The project scope covers 7 regions in the lake and western zones, national level, and Zanzibar.
Jhpiego is therefore seeking to recruit a team of experienced medical, public health, program, and finance professionals to implement this exciting new initiative.
Position Overview: The ICT4D Advisor will provide technical assistance for-the strategic integration of Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICT4D) for USAID Boresha Afya Project interventions. Slhe will be responsible to manage a team of Health systems developers, implementers and lead the Project's information and communication technologies for development (ICT4D) strategy. This position will liaise with the National eHealth Steering Committee (NeHSC) and the National eHealth Entity, and will directly support regions/districts in building capacity to implement I£T4D approaches. The ICT4D Advisor position requires strong experience leading ICT4D implementations in the field, deep public health knowledge and vast knowledge on mHealth interventions, and keen organizational and management skills.
Position Reports To:Technical Director, USAID Boresha Afya Project
Positions Supervised: E-Learning/Health Informatics Officer; Communications Officer
- With support from the Health informatics/ACT4D teams in Dar es Salaam and Baltimore, lead the development and implementation of an enterprise-grade, open source eHealth Platform to support integrated service delivery and client management across the continuum of care.
- Collaborate closely with the Government of Tanzania, specifically the National eHealth Steering Committee (NeHSC) and the National eHealth Entity, to set up the governance structure and technical working groups for the USAID Boresha Afyaproject eHealth systems development, as outlined in the National eHealth Strategy.
- Design, implement, maintain, and support appropriate and cost-effective information and communication technologies to facilitate activities such as:
use of tablet-based registers for service delivery and client-level data collection by all
hospitals and expanded services package health centers
use of smartphone-based registers for service delivery and client-level data collection
by community health workers
Design standards to integrate to the national enterprise architecture
access eLearning content, training videos and SMSlvoice reminders
information flow among stakeholders
supporting learning approaches such as use of computer based training CDs to
disseminate knowledge updates to providers
- Provide technical guidance and direction to project teams in the field on all ICT4D interventions and travel to the field to provide short term technical assistance as needed,
- Conduct or lead, in collaboration with other team members, any training, meetings or workshops held for the planning, design, implementation or evaluation of information and communication technologies for program activities.
- Provide and review technical and budget input into proposals, concept notes, expressions of interest and other business development-related materials.
- Work with clients, partners, program staff, the ICT4D unit, Technical Leadership Office (TLO) and Global Programs Office (GPO) to identify opportunities toimprove health systems and meet other programmatic challenges through the appropriate application of ICTs.
- Collaborate with other team members in the work planning, design, implementation or evaluation of inforrnation and communication technologies for program activities.
- Collaborate with team members to ensure appropriate monitoring and evaluation of project information and communication technology activities, including provision of input into appropriate logical framework and indicator development.
- Promote and support the dissemination of project information and experience sharing among the project team and regional-based staff.
- Establish and maintain productive relationships with key stakeholders, including relevant department heads, staff, government officials, partners and community.
- Through Senior Health Informatics Advisor Liaise regularly with the ICT4D team at
- Headquarters to ensure a holistic approach to ICT4D and improve knowledge sharing.
- Provide support to other partners involved in Jhpiego projects.
- Other duties as necessary and as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor degree in an ICT4D, Health informatics or public health related field [MPH or Masters' degree is preferred]
- Must have field experience, with minimum of 5 years' experience providing technical assistance for healthcare-related ICT interventions preferably Health information systems.
- Experienced in the use of ICTs to support one or more of the following:
o Health systems development and strengthening
o} Health care service delivery
fJ Performance and quality improvement/assurance
Training, supporting and supervising health care workers
Behavior change communication
- Recent prior experience as a technology project manager, systems architect or lead
software developer, including responsibilities for (illustrative list below):
Managing large-scale or enterprise-wide ICT4D and software development
projects and implementation teams through the full software development life cycle
of open source projects such as RapidSMS, DHIS2, OpenMRS, and other open
source systems used in global health
Developing functional and system requirements and architecture diagrams
Instituting and following quality assurance methodologies and systems and release
Overseeing partners and developers of open source solutions for global health.
Developing and implementing a training plan for end users new to using electronic
Coordination of program activities with governmental, non-governmental and
private sector partners
Identifying and incorporating or adapting best and promising evidence-based
- Ability to translate between the public health and technology sectors
- A systemic and process-oriented thinker
- Understanding of sustainability challenges in low and middle income countries
- Up-to-date knowledge of technologies and technology standards and an understanding of the constraints and benefits of different technologies
- Knowledge of international and USG donor agencies and private sector foundations
- Field-oriented, results-oriented, and comfortable with a team approach to programming
- Strong change management and decision making skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills including presentation and facilitation skills, team building and coordination
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage several major activities simultaneously and work in a complex environment with short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
To apply please indicate the position title on the envelope or subject line of your e-mail,
i.e. Application for Deputy Chief of Party. All applications should also include an
up-to-date CV with three contactable professional references, a cover letter 'and your
The application should be addressed to:
Director of Human Resource
Plot 72, Block 45B, New Bagamoyo Road - Victoria
PO Box 9170
. Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
OR send the application through email at: HRJZ@jhpiego.org
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The closing date for
applications is two weeks after the first appearance of this 'advert.
Caution to the applicants:
There have been some bogus adverts online that require candidates to apply through
some email addresses of public domains e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc. Kindly note:
HRTZ@jhpiego.org is the address to use all the time. Please ignore any of those
adverts. We also don't charge any application fee nor entertain any meetinqs or
telephone calls. If shortlisted you will get an official call from our office and receive
required steps. If you suspect any wrong - doing kindly write to the Director of Human