Administrative Assistant for CREATES (1 position)
The new Centre of Excellence funded by the World Bank, called the “Centre for Research, agricultural Advancement, Teaching Excellence and Sustainability in Food and Nutritional Security (CREATES)”, is hosted by the School of Life Sciences and Bioengineering at the Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology
(NM-AIST) in Arusha, Tanzania. The newly established CREATES provides a buzzing atmosphere of international and interdisciplinary research and education activities, novel technologies and private-public partnerships with the industry and the community at large as well as hands-on learning experience and evidence-based problem solving projects. CREATES-FNS encompasses novel curricula approaches, cutting-edge research facilities and highly skilled national, regional and international partners in various fields related to Life Sciences. CREATES-FNS encompasses four main streams, i.e., “Sustainable Agriculture”, “Food and Nutrition Sciences”, “Biodiversity Conservation and Ecosystem Management” as well as “Global Health and Biomedical Sciences”, which involves aspects of drug development and Nanoscience. Now CREATES is looking for a Administrative Assistant to join the team.
- Personal assistant and secretary to the Centre Management Team
- Supporting the leadership in day to day activities in the administration of the Centre
- Provides support for preparation and processing of Centre-relevant documents
- Takes a lead role in organizing scheduling and coordinating project meetings and other events at the Centre, including travel and accommodation arrangements and airport transfers of participants, VISA, venue booking and providing assistance with preparation and dissemination of reports and other outputs
- Ensures confidentiality of information and assures access to information regarding students and staff Responds to inquiries and requests for information requiring knowledge of departmental and Centre’s policies and procedures.
- Serves as internal resource to administrators or staff on departmental and Centre procedures. Records and summarizes minutes of various Centre meetings
- Oversees daily office operations
- Work on any other tasks that the Centre Management will assign
Qualifications, Knowledge and Essential Attributes:
- Holder of a minimum first degree in Public Administration / Management added advantage would be extensive experience in Project Administration, Monitoring and Evaluation, Report Writing Skills for local and international audiences including funding agencies (e.g. World Bank, AU projects, EU projects), Education Management etc.
- Highly competent in oral and written communication skills in English and Kiswahili At least five years of relevant work experience in a reputable international organization(s) / project(s)
- Excellent organization, people management skills and a team player
- A high degree of computer competence and familiarity with modern software
- Self-motivation and ability to work under minimal supervision, including ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines when required
- Confidence in dealing proactively with a range of project partners, including academic staff, students and diverse external clients, ability to motivate the team
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary and international teams
- Positive and helpful attitude in responding to enquiries by program members and external clients
- Willingness to learn new skills and adapt within the role Flexibility to work through setbacks and delays
- Must have outstanding filing and organizational skills
The salary is negotiable depending on the qualification and experience and consists of an attractive package of max 1500 US$ per month, which includes 25% gratuity and 33% insurance.
Duration of the contract:
The position is based on a 2 year contract, full time, renewable subject to performance and includes a probation period of 6 months. Maximum duration of the contract will be 5 years.
Duty Station: Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology [NM-AIST] Arusha, Tanzania
Reporting to: Centre Leader / Deputy Centre Leader and Centre Manager
Mode of Application:
Eligible candidates possessing the above qualifications and attributes are advised to submit their applications including the following:
- Certified photocopies of relevant certificates and academic transcripts
- Most recent Curriculum Vitae
- Names and contact details of at least two professional referees
- Contact details: Telephone, E-mail and Postal Address
- Individuals currently employed in the Public Service should route their applications through their employers
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates should be less than 45 years old.
Deadline for application is December 5th 2016.
Recruitment will be as soon as possible. Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Applications should be sent by either e-mail or via post address and should be addressed to:
CREATES-FNS Centre Director,
The Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology, P.O. Box 447,