USAID Boresha Afya is a new s-year USAID-funded program for a comprehensive Health
Service Delivery. The goal of USAID Boresha Afya is to improve the health status of all
Tanzanians. Jhpiego leads the implementation of one of the 3 awards covering the lake and
western zones -with an emphasis on women and children in targeted regions. The purpose
is to support the GOT to increase access to high-quality, comprehensive and integrated health
services, with a focus on malaria, maternal, newborn, child and reproductive health outcomes.
The project scope covers 7 regions in the lake and western zones, national level, and
Jhpiego is therefore seeking to recruit a team of experienced medical, public health, program,
and finance professionals to implement this exciting new initiative.
Program Cum Administrative Assistant [1 Position based in Zanzibar] Grade: 5
Position Overview: The Program Cum Administrative Assistant is responsible for
maintaining the Jhpiego reception/front office including ensuring cleanliness, functioning phone system, maintaining telephone contact information, and ensuring prompt and
timely assistance to all visitors. As the first contact for the organization's visitors the
Program Cum Administrative Assistant is expected to be professional, courteous, prompt
and pleasant. The Program Cum Administrative Assistant will also assist with other front
office functions like sending/receiving couriers, ensuring mail is picked from the post
office and other office support tasks as needed.
Position Reports To: Zanzibar Program Advisor
- Program Support including Monitoring and Evaluation
- Provide programmatic, monitoring and evaluation support, particularly on field work data collection duties, including periodic program progress reports development.
- Provide support to programmatic activities with guidance from Zanzibar Program Advisor
- Provide SUPP?rt to the USAID Boresha Afya Project team on programmatic activities for timelines ~ccomplishment. ,
- Work closely fJith USAID Boresha Afya field programmatic technical team to ensure timely deliverY of planned activities.
- Coordinate program trainings in Zanzibar, including but not limited to training venues identification; training facilities logistics arrangement in collaboration with other program team.
- Ensure the coordination of program technical team in their technical support to the
- ZHMTs during the annual Health Plans and budgets meetings for inclusion of USAID
- Boresha Afya strategies in the government budgets. •
- Coordinate periodic joint supportive supervision with government officials in Unguja and Pemba and sub-grantees.
- Coordination of weekly/monthly programmatic update for updating USAID Boresha
- Afyaleadership and technical team.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to project teams working in Zanzibar to ensure all travels are timely planned and executed, including advance time TAR's preparation and reconciliation.
- Ensure copies of regional program service vendors contracts are well filed to fasten approval processing of claims.
- Set up and maintain a filing system both electronic and hard copy for the project documents.
- Perform other duties as directed by your immediate supervisor to ensure the sound functioning of the office and achievement of project goals.
- Office Management
- Work with Dar es Salaam Finance Manager to ensure staff travel plans are in place
- and timely submitted to review and approval team on time to avoid delay in activities execution.
- Ensure documents are properly documented and filed.
- Ensure proper use of vehicles for program field activities and keep proper records.
- Facilitate smooth day to day office running to ensure availability of all of the office requirements.
- Maintain reception informationlliterature and keep the reception area tidy and welcoming during office hours.
- Ensure Office Access procedures are followed at all times.
- Acknowledge receipt of all incoming mails, register the same and channel to responsible official for action. -
- Administer incoming and outgoing documents and parcel courier through the courier
- Maintain and Control office supply, stationery and kitchen supplies for regional Office.
- Maintain Office petty cash and prepare its report on monthly basis
- Ensure all material deli~Sl~~d to our office are distributed to our sites accordingly. versee propeKrunliling orutilities--:for theIJoilding soch-asr-electricity, Water with consultation to the landlord
- General cleaning of the office, ensure routine maintenance of office equipment
- Oversee the use and maintenance of the office equipment including the printer to
- ensure that they are in working order and arrange for their repair and maintenance as needed'
- Manage safety and security of the building and Jhpiego assets.
- Ensure that all office equipment and work space properly maintained and serviced follow up with vendors for after sale service and maintenance.
- Replenish the First Aid Box with all the. necessary drugs and ensure that all required drugs are available at all times.
- Draft correspondence to USAID, Government agencies and other stakeholders as requested
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Diploma with a good pass in English. Secretarial training and office management kills highly desirable [Bachelor degree desirablej2 years work experience.
- Demonstrated basic accounting skills with experience in petty cash management.
- Excellent computer skills (including Ms Word, and Ms Excel)
- Knowledge: (functional or technical; i.e. federal legislation, finance, program planning, public healthcarestandards, proposal writing, human resources practices, etc.)
- Experience working in a busy office within the private sector especially with an international organization
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to operate and use a PABX phone system
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English and Kiswahili.
- A broad variety of front office/receptionist skills
- Be self motivated, proactive and have a positive attitude to work requiring minimum supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to handle a variety of assignments sometimes under pressure of deadlines.
- Be cooperative, hardworking, flexible & dependable.
- Ability to communicate effectively, instilling trust and confidence.
- Pleasant, warm and outgoing personality.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Be of high integrity and have a sense of confidentiality
- Be willing to take on extra responsibilities in order to achieve the goals/objectives set
- by the organization r
- Jhpiego offers a competitive package selected candidates in line with salary history,
- academic qualifications and relevant experience
To apply please indicate the position title on the envelope or subject line of your e-mail,
i.e. Application for Deputy Chief of Party. All applications should also include an
up-to-date CV with three contactable professional references, a cover letter 'and your
, The application should be addressed to:
Director of Human Resource
Plot 72, Block 45B, New Bagamoyo Road - Victoria
PO Box 9170
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The closing date for
applications is two weeks after the first appearance of this 'advert.
Caution to the applicants:
There have been some bogus adverts online that require candidates to apply through
some email addresses of public domains e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc. Kindly note:
HRTZ@jhpiego.org is the address to use all the time. Please ignore any of those
adverts. We also don't charge any application fee nor entertain any meetinqs or
telephone calls. If shortlisted you will get an official call from our office and receive
required steps. If you suspect any wrong - doing kindly write to the Director of Human