USAID Boresha Afya is a new s-year USAID-funded program for a comprehensive Health Service Delivery. The goal of USAID Boresha Afya is to improve the health status of all Tanzanians. Jhpiego leads the implementation of one of the 3 awards covering the lake and western zones -with an emphasis on women and children in targeted regions. The purpose is to support the GOT to increase access to high-quality, comprehensive and integrated health services, with a focus on malaria, maternal, newborn, child and reproductive health outcomes. The project scope covers 7 regions in the lake and western zones, national level, and Zanzibar.
Jhpiego is therefore seeking to recruit a team of experienced medical, public health, program, and finance professionals to implement this exciting new initiative.
Position Overview: The Senior Finance Officer will be responsible to manage the Project's day-to-day cash needs, travel requests, payments, procurement, contracts, regional office finances, policies and procedures, consultants, travel and logistics, and project reporting. S/he will also be expected to oversee all financial and accounting issues at the regional level, and will also provide technical assistance to sub-grantees on finance management
Position Reports To: Project Finance Director, USAID Boresha Afya
•Responsible for' maintaining bank accounts according to Jhpiego's policies and procedures, including updating check register, forecast cash needs, and timely update check
- Efficiently manage all the USAID Boresha Afya regional office non-petty cash disbursements ensuring compliance with all applicable internal controls and Jhpiego, JHU and USAID financial management policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all project expenditure is reasonable, allocable and allowable, has adequate supporting documentation, has the appropriate expense class and account coding, has been approved and that goods, services and due deliverables have been received, accepted and are in gdod condition prior to finalizing payment.
Taxes and Statutory Deductions:
- In coordination with the finance office, compile and remit applicable local statutory and tax amounts payable to the Tanzania Revenue Authority
- In accordance with Jhpiego/JHU policies and procedures, timeously provide information to the Finance manager for QuickBooks accounting system capturing all USAID Boresha Afya's financial transactions.
- Maintain and manage in a systematic and efficient manner, accurate financial records and supporting documentation (both hard and electronic copies) of all financial transactions for the USAID Boresha Afya project.
- Ensure all documents have been duly reviewed and approved, they have been marked "PAID" .and voucher and check numbers have been assigned that reference the documents to QuickBooks.
- Safeguard all the original financial documentation and takes charge of the USAID Boresha Afya finance filing system.
Petty cash Management:
• Responsible for petty cash management according to Jhpiego guidelines
Project and Travel Advances Management:
- Support USAID Boresha Afya implementation by way of preparing and/or reviewing project activity advance requests.
- Travel to the field and manages cash disbursements to activity participants in accordance with Jhpiego policies and procedures.
- Manage cash with the highest degree of integrity, diligence and security consciousness.
- Collect all necessary documentation and prepares timely project activity expense reports and banks unexpended funds.
- Assist the Regional Program Manager with the development and preparation of USAID Boresha Afya Project projections, pipeline analysis and any other required budgets.
- Assist program staff in developing activity budgets.'
• Work closely with Finance through audits and financial reviews.
Grants Management Support:
- Supervise Grants Officer in carrying out a number of grants management activities including; conducting pre-award assessments, reviewing grantee budgets and financial reports, conducting financial reviews etc
Qualifications and Requirements
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration - [Advanced Degree an added advantage] with minimum of 5 years work experience.
- Basic accounting knowledge - CPA I or efforts in acquiring accounting qualifications or equivalent
- Computers skills including use of spreadsheets and/or accounting packages.
- Must have demonstrated book-keeping skills, an understanding of maintenance of ledger entries, cash book and account entries and bank reconciliation.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) .
- Experience with audits and financial reviews
- Knowledge of USAID regulations would be an added advantage.
- Previous experience with nonprofit organization will be an added advantage.
- Ability to travel up to 30% of time.
To apply please indicate the position title on the envelope or subject line of your e-mail,
i.e. Application for Deputy Chief of Party. All applications should also include an
up-to-date CV with three contactable professional references, a cover letter 'and your
The application should be addressed to:
Director of Human Resource
Plot 72, Block 45B, New Bagamoyo Road - Victoria
PO Box 9170
. Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
OR send the application through email at: HRJZ@jhpiego.org
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The closing date for
applications is two weeks after the first appearance of this 'advert.
Caution to the applicants:
There have been some bogus adverts online that require candidates to apply through
some email addresses of public domains e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc. Kindly note:
HRTZ@jhpiego.org is the address to use all the time. Please ignore any of those
adverts. We also don't charge any application fee nor entertain any meetinqs or
telephone calls. If shortlisted you will get an official call from our office and receive
required steps. If you suspect any wrong - doing kindly write to the Director of Human