This vacancy is a senior fellowship position that has been created as port of SHARE's capacity development efforts. The Senior Social Scientist / Research Fellow will be based full-time in Mwanza.
She/he will develop MITU's social science research portfolio both as a self-standing discipline and as a key component in the conduct of randomized controlled trials of health interventions.
The post holder will be a senior member of MITU's research management team. She/he will report
to Dr Saidi Kapiga, the Scientific Director of MITU, and will collaborate closely with the principal investigatm of intervention trials.
In the context of WASH related research, s/he will coordinate work with Dr Safari Kinung'hi (NIMR) and Prof Sandy Caimcross (LSHTM).
Position: Senior Social Scientist / SHARE Research Fellow
Direct One supervisor: Dr Saidi Kapiga, scientific Director of MITU
The Senior Social Scientist will be a member of the MITU research leadership team and will be based full-time in Mwanza, Tanzania. The post holder will also be part of NIMR, Mwanza centre's wider scientific community. Ihe position will imply regular participation in field work within the Lake Zone of Tanzania, and may require occasional work related travel to Dar es Salaam, other regions of Tanzania and neighboring countries.
To lead social science research at MITU
1. Develop MITU's social science research portfolio.
2. Oversee the social science research components of MITU's intervention trials, in particular studies related to SHARE and WASH.
3. Conduct behavioural studies on MITU/SHARE's planned WASH trial at primary schools in Kagera Region in collaboration with regional officials of the
Ministries of Health and Social Welfare and Education and Vocational Training. Contribute to the interpretation of quantitative research outcomes.
4. Manage a team of social science field workers, supervise field work and transcription and translation of research data.
5. Support the work of quantitative survey teams.
6. Lead the development and translation of qualitative tools for the various sfudy activities.
7. Lead data processing, analysis and write-up of qualitative and mixed methods research in collaboration with principal investigators of research trials
8. Prepare scientific reports and publications, and present research results at national and international meetings and conferences.
9. Manage project budgets for qualitative research, monitor expenditures and contribute to financial reports. Collaborate with trial Pis in setting ane
reviewing trial specific budgets.
10. Build the capacity of junior project staff to undertake high quality research.
11. Collaborate with MITU staff and staff from MITU partner organisations.
12. Recommend improvements to the day-to-day running of the MITU office.
13. Promote MITU, its core values and services, and playa positive role in the delivery of its day-to-day operations and strategic goals.
14. Play an active part in promoting the scientific life at the NIMR Mwanza campus.
15. Undertake other tasks as may reasonably be expected from senior MITU staff.
C. PERSON SPECIFICATION
Essential and desirable qualifications and skills for this post are as follows.
- A postgraduate qualification in sociology, anthropology or other social science discipline
- At least 6 years of working experience as a social scientist. with at least 3 years in a managing position.
- At least 6 relevant publications as first or senior author in internationally recognized peer reviewed journals.
- Demonstrable experience of conducting behavioural research in East Africa.
- Demonstrable experience in leading grant applications and obtaining research funds.
- Demonstrable ability in analysing and writing-up qualitative data.
- Demonstrable ability to work to strict deadlines without close supervision and direct own work in an efficient and productive manner.
- Managerial and organisational skills.
- Commitment to working as part of a multidisciplinary research team.
- Commitment to work in a multicultural environment.
• A PhD degree in social science or related discipline.
• Experience in the field of behavioural research on water sanitation and hygiene.
• Experience in conducting mixed methods research (qualitative and quantitative studies).
• Familiarity with the development and evaluation of behavioural interventions.
• Interest and/or experience in community-based interventions and participatory research.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Kiswahili.
D MODE OF APPLlCAnON (ernaR to RecruHment@mllu.or.tz)
• Letter of application with details of how you meet the essential and desirable criteria and your reasons for wanting to join MITU.
• Please include a daytime mobile telephone number and e-mail contact details.
• Curriculum vitae (CV) including names and addresses of three referees (two must be from your most recent employing institution).
• Copies of all relevant certificates and memberships and qualifications.
• Applications received later than the 22nd of December 2016 will not be considered.
• You will be informed by email if you are selected for interview.