Communication Officer (1 position)
The new Centre of Excellence funded by the World Bank, called the “Centre forResearch, agricultural Advancement, Teaching Excellence and Sustainability in Food and Nutritional Security (CREATES)”, is hosted by the School of Life Sciences and Bioengineering at the Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST) in Arusha, Tanzania. The newly established CREATES provides a buzzing atmosphere of international and interdisciplinary research and education activities, novel technologies and private-public partnerships with the industry and the community at large as well as hands-on learning experience and evidence-based problem solving projects. CREATES encompasses novel curricula approaches, cutting-edge research facilities and highly skilled national, regional and international partners in various fields related to Life Sciences. CREATES encompasses four main streams, i.e., “Sustainable Agriculture”, “Food and Nutrition Sciences”, “Biodiversity Conservation and Ecosystem Management” as well as “Global Health and Biomedical Sciences”, which involves aspects of drug development and Nanoscience. Now CREATES is looking for a Communication Officer to join the team.
- Collects and sub-edits materials for radio programs, TV, newspapers and the Centre’s newsletter
- Arranges radio talk-shows / interviews for the Centre officials Edits press materials
- Analyses public criticisms and complaints
- Designs, produces and distributes calendars, greeting cards and posters Arranges for poster sessions during conferences
- Participates in handling protocol and travel arrangements for Centre dignitaries
- Helps with outreach through flyers, stickers, adverts, booklets Designs and maintains the Centre webpage
- Maintains the communication with partners as instructed by the Centre Leadership
- Custodian and communicator of all publications and patents through the Centre
Qualifications, Knowledge and Essential Attributes:
- Highly competent in oral and written communication skills both in English and Kiswahili
- Holder of a minimum of first degree in Mass Communication / Public Relations; MSc degree will be an added advantage
- Any other language (e.g. French) is an additional asset
- At least five years of relevant work experience in a reputable international organization(s) / project(s)
- Excellent organization, people management skills and a team player
- A high degree of computer competence and familiarity with modern software and web page design and maintenance as well as social media
- Good skills for writing reports for local and international audiences including funding agencies
- Self-motivation and ability to work under minimal supervision, including ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines when required
- Confidence in dealing proactively with a range of project partners, including academic staff, students and diverse external clients, ability to motivate the team
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary and international teams
- Positive and helpful attitude in responding to enquiries by program members and external clients
- Willingness to learn new skills and adapt within the role Flexibility to work through setbacks and delays
- Must have outstanding filing and organizational skills as well as keeping proper records
The salary is negotiable depending on the qualification and experience and consists of an attractive package of 2000 US$ per month, which includes 25% gratuity and 33% insurance.
Duration of the contract:
The position is based on a 2 year contract, full time, renewable subject to performance and includes a probation period of 6 months. Maximum duration of the contract will be 5 years.
Duty Station: Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology [NM-AIST], Arusha, Tanzania
Reporting to: Centre Director / Deputy Centre Director and Centre Manager
Mode of Application:
Eligible candidates possessing the above qualifications and attributes are advised to submit their applications including the following:
Certified photocopies of relevant certificates and academic transcripts
Most recent Curriculum Vitae
Names and contact details of at least two professional referees Contact details: Telephone, E-mail and Postal Address
Individuals currently employed in the Public Service should route their applications through their employers
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates should be less than 40 years old.
Deadline for application is December 5th 2016. Recruitment will be as soon as possible. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
Applications should be sent by either e-mail or via post address and should be addressed to:
CREATES-FNS Centre Director,
The Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology, P.O. Box 447,
ARUSHA, TANZANIA. E-mail: email@example.com